Thursday, June 30, 2016

Letters

I've wrote a note a bit of time of ago about writing letters and how much joy that brings to my heart. I also wrote about how it can sustain people because it lets them know how loved they are. Well, story time.

I wrote a letter to a lady I had never met before who goes to my church. It was encouraging her to keep going and to find joy in the Lord, even when times are hard. I quoted Philippians 4:4, saying, "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: rejoice." I felt like the Lord wanted me to encourage her to keep pressing on and doing the good work, but I had no idea why.

Well, my mom told me. This woman has been having a really hard time - her husband has cancer and she's helping him. What a hard and discouraging time that is! I wrote her a letter and she received when she returned from a trip with her husband. In short, as mom told me, it was perfect timing.

The next day, I ran into her at church. It was this kind of awkward moment because I'd never met her, but she was passing out handouts and then she said, "Sidney? Are you Sidney?" 

"Yes, I am," I replied, confused. Then she began to explain to me how much that note meant to her and how much it encouraged her. She ended with this thought - keep writing letters. There are a lot of hurting people out there.

Keep writing letters. There are a lot of hurting people out there.

How true, yes, how true. Write a letter today.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment