Friday, June 17, 2016

Reusing to Help

Recently, I've been trying to find ways to use things that I have that I don't necessarily need. From school this year, I had a lot of hygiene items left over (I was going to give them to my students, but we ran out of time. That was a bummer). But, I was talking to my people on the book of faces and trying to give the items to people who need them - my cousin suggested doing something with the items.

Let's clarify really quick - the items were the following: 
- bar soap
- wash cloths
- shampoo
- conditioner
- combs
- deodorant

These are such usable items, but I wanted to make sure that these items went to people that could use them! So, I put something on FB, basically saying I have items and want to give them away - help me help you. My cousin posted something with it by saying I could put the items in a purse (or a couple purses) and help out the homeless women around my community.

So, I did just that! I took the items, spread them out over six different bags/purses, and got them ready to give away. Here's the thing, though. I wanted to make sure that I included items that could be used - even if I needed to search around my apartment. For example, feminine hygiene products are so helpful! I couldn't imagine the necessity that is without having it. A pen (or a couple pens) are so helpful! Hairbands, a notebook, an extra Bible, a deck of cards. My constant thought was, "What can I do/put in this to bring joy to another person?" or, "What would make me feel loved?"

Also, I put in granola bars! Nature Valley. They make my heart happy and don't melt in the heat. And a toothbrush, toothpaste, and toothbrush holder! What useful items. I put bags together and put them in my trunk. I have six bags that I can give out to people! I'm so excited to help out people with items that are so helpful! 

People need to know how dearly loved they are - no matter where they are at in life. People are people. Simply that. 

Side note - I'm not a big fan of giving things without an interaction. Therefore, when I give the bags out, I'm going to make sure I have time to sit and talk with the individuals I'm interacting with. People need human LOVING contact sometimes more than material items. Most of the time.

Next side note - I think it's also an important note to see both sides of this argument. There can be the idea that making these bags is hurtful to people and can cause them to feel 'lesser than' by being given a bag. That comes a lot out of a heart level. Would I make a bag to make myself feel good or help another? (it kind of reminds me of my classroom - did I give out hygiene products to make myself feel better or help the kids?)

Next next side note - People are people and everyone is worthy of love and respect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment