Thursday, June 23, 2016

I Hate Laundry.

I hate laundry. That is, I hate doing laundry. Correction, I strongly dislike doing laundry. I tell my students (well, I think I do) that hate is a strong word and we can make other choices. So, I strongly dislike it. It just seems quite tedious and a lot of the time I think, "Well, if I'm going to just get it dirty again, why wash it?"

This is very dangerous thinking.

It also can apply to many things. For example, "Why make your bed when you're just going to sleep tonight?" or, "Why clean your apartment if it's just going to get dirty again?" Do you see the issue here?

Anyways, laundry has gotten actually a bit better since I've been able to use a clothesline. I invested in a clothesline at Dollar Tree last fall, as well as some clothespins. So, today was laundry day. I cheated and washed the clothes in the washer, then I put them on the line to dry. When I have more time or trust my sense of washing better, I wash clothes in the sink. It's not that hard - it's actually quite rewarding.

I'm a big fan of line drying. Did you know that line drying can help save your clothes for a longer period of time? It's so much better for your clothes. How sustainable! As well, it helps brighten the whites (that is, when drying in the sun). If you'd like to protect against losing color, line dry the clothes in the shade.

In America, dryers account for 6% of the residential energy used per year. That's in the top three energy using sources (following fridges and water heaters). How crazy! In America, did you know that line drying is one of the least favorite things to do? That seems to be because of the regulations put on my apartment/rental owners. However, when you can line dry, do! Check with where you are living to see if it's okay. Or, if you don't know either way, just do it and see if no one yells at you...

Did you know that in Italy 95% of the homes don't have a dryer? They use outside! In in UK, there's a 4:1 ratio for people using line drying:not line drying. It'd be nice to see those stats in America. 

You should make a change! Get a clothesline. Get some pins. Take time and hang your clothes. Not only will you save money, but you'll help the environment. It's a WIN WIN. All the wins.

Peace.

Sources (these are REALLY easy to read): 
Five Reasons to Line Dry Laundry
America's Most Unpopular Way of Saving Energy...
Infographic: Line-Dry Laundry

No comments:

Post a Comment