Friday, July 8, 2016

Avoiding Grocery Shopping?

I've been avoiding grocery shopping for quite a bit of time. I'm not really feeling like doing it (that means: I don't feel like spending money anymore). So, that being said, I have to use all the groceries I have

I looked in my fridge tonight. I had leftover tomatoes, as well as a cabbage. I also had couple other things, but those were what my eyes were drawn to. Also, to be honest, because the tomatoes and cabbage are the things that'll probably go bad first. They've been there for a bit of time (five, ten years - no big deal...).

ANYWAYS.

I really am not a fan of tomatoes raw. Like, not at all. I'm beginning to think it's a texture thing, mainly because I don't mind them AS MUCH when they're in small bits. Like diced. But, all that begin said, I wasn't going to eat them raw. Gross, yo.
Here's my instagram post of my tomatoes.
Don't I look fancy?

I saw a post of the book of faces tonight of someone frying yellow tomatoes. I thought that was really strange, but I thought maybe I could do that with red. So, I did.

First, to make a mixture. You see, to fry something, you need more than just oil. I can't eat flour or eggs, so there's no way I was going to batter them. So what to do? I'll make a good oil frying base lala I don't know what to call this. So, I put together olive oil, fresh garlic (four little baby dudes), lemon juice, and salt. Of course, olive oil.

Life note - olive oil, red palm oil, and coconut oil are some of the FEW oils that DON'T turn into a trans fat when they hit smoking point. Don't be silly - use ONLY those oils. Your body will thank you.

Anyways, took my tomatoes, cut them into slices. After the garlic was turned that light brown beautiful color, I added the tomatoes, one side down. They fried. And fried. And took a lot longer than I wanted.

At the same time, I cut up the cabbage into sliced (like long, thin slices), put some olive oil on a pan, but the cabbage on, put a bit more oil on, as well as some seasoning salt. It's still in the oven - making cabbage chips! Well, I think. Maybe it'll be roasted cabbage. 

When the tomatoes stopped cooking, I took them off and put them on a plate with paper towels. Please don't judge me for using paper towels. This soaked up the oil for the most part and made it a bit more healthy. 

Then, I put some fresh basil that I had grown (yes, I grew it like a COOL KID) and some feta cheese. Oh, my goodness. It's incredible!

I'm excited for the cabbage. I like these tomatoes. I'm content and happy and really joyful about how I was able to make a whole meal by the things I had around. Heck, I was just going to order pizza. 

So, use the things in your fridge. Be creative! Don't use a recipe. Just experiment and try - I bet you'll make something that you absolutely LOVE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment