Thursday, July 14, 2016

Ultimate?

Yesterday, I super injured myself. Like, a lot.

I was playing ultimate frisbee with some people in the dark with a glow-in-the-dark frisbee. I don't tend to take risks or anything of the sort, so looking back, I'm pretty impressed with myself (and I also remember why I don't do things like that).


Bottom left: Sunday, Middle: Tuesday, Top Right: Wednesday,
Bottom Right: Today. 
Anyways, I'm competitive, but not coordinated. Not always the best combination. Actually, quite often a terrible combination.

So, we'd been playing for like maybe 20 minutes and I ran into someone, fell to the ground, hit my knee really hard (POP - it reminded me of a hard bubble popping), and then couldn't walk. The game ended, and people were more than willing to help. I sat there for what seemed forever, baby tears coming down my face, and trying to keep it together. We prayed over my knee (God is so good), then my helpful friends helped me "walk" to the water cooler. Sat there, lovely people got ice, I attempted to life and failed miserably. 

I noticed, really, that I've got this huge issue where I want to be put together even when I can't do anything.

I started to write this on Sunday, the day after this happened, but I got distracted. Here's some more thoughts from Thursday...

The amount of healing that has happened in the past couple of days is nothing short of a miracle. I went to the doctor on Monday, had an x-ray done to make sure I didn't break any bones - I didn't. That left two possibilities: a torn meniscus or a badly BADLY sprained knee. With 90% of the times with a torn meniscus, no surgery is needed. The doctor told me straight up that she was about 50% confident that's where I was at. 

That wasn't super encouraging. 


Day two (Monday) - on Sunday, I made a huge pot of coffee,
only to discover I can't walk without crutches, therefore
I couldn't carry anything. Monday was a bit better.
But, I went home, rested, iced, compressed, and inclined my knee. More importantly than anything, I prayed and reached out for prayer. I don't even know how many people I told to pray. I'm a HUGE advocate for prayer. The Lord has given us a HUGE gift of being able to pray and He answers us - we need to use that. 

So, the days have been very slow. The first day, I couldn't do anything. Then progression happened VERY fast. Monday, I went to the doctor. I got an x-ray AND got to ride in a wheelchair. What new experiences! Tuesday, I walked. I was so excited I started jumping and that was a bad idea. Wednesday, I was pretty much mobile, though, if I walked too much, I became VERY slow. 

And, then, today. Today I've carried my coffee cup to the couch. I made breakfast and carried it to the couch. Note: the couch is where my nest is. I haven't used crutches yet. I'm almost healed, with just a TINY bit of healing left to do.

I've learned a lot from this injury. Here's my thoughts -->
- Prayer is essential. It sustains us and brings glory to God. "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)


On Wednesday, before Life Group, I was able to walk! What a
blessing that was. Yes, I hobbled, but I still walked!
- I have a lot of people who care for me. Like, a lot. There were five people who came back with me after the initial injury to help me. Everyone was more than willing to help me after ultimate dramatically ended (that's when I fell...). People came over and brought me food. My lovely friend went grocery shopping for me. My mom came and cleaned so I didn't fall on my face. Company came to warm my heart. The Lord is incredibly gracious to me.

- I'm stubborn and need to get over that. Asking for help doesn't make someone weak. It makes them human.

- Being able to walk is something to be SO thankful for. I watched The Office on Sunday night and was a bit bitter that the people walking didn't find more joy in it. That was a personal mistake of being bitter.

- Finally, joy. The Lord has given me SO much joy in this. I'm able to see His character and the goodness of His healing. God is a Healer - the Bible says so and now it has been proven.

Peace and love.

Sid

No comments:

Post a Comment