Thursday, September 29, 2016

Movement Starting

Yesterday, I wrote a post about my students doing a process of upcycling and me actually being able to teach something in my classroom. I had a realization today in class...

Here we go. So, I was taking the plastic off a tissue box to recycle it. Standing on the side of my classroom, getting ready to put it in the recycling bin, a student comes up to me and asks, "Can I have that?"
Ross, I couldn't agree more.
I'm surprised, too.

"Of course!" I quickly replied. Then I realized...there's a movement that's starting in my classroom. My students have began a process of changing the world. Yes, it's a tissue box. BUT. A tissue box is MORE than a tissue box.

It's a change.

This student saw another student making a change and she decided to do the same. The student yesterday chose to upcycle because she saw another student doing it. The world is changing - because they are influencing each other POSITIVELY.

Be still my heart.

My students are upcycling and changing the world. They are seeing purpose in things that would normally be thrown away. And, I wonder, maybe this'll change into how they see people. Purposeful and valuable.

It excites my heart. My soul is stirred at the thought of making a change in the world. It's amazing! I'm able to influence little lives to bring joy on this earth. Not only that - they are able to influence each other. We can make a change and we will. We are the world. We are the children. We're going to make a change. 

Here, at school, our movement starts.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment