Sunday, September 25, 2016

Food.

I realize I've written multiple posts about food. I also realize I have a lot to say about food. You get to witness that.

So, for a long time, I struggled with food and what to eat/eating things that make me happy. Today, as I was coming back from the grocery store with Tugce (my roommate), I had a revelation. 
Look! Food at genuinely brings joy to my
heart - broccoli, coffee, and cheese.

I only like to buy things at the store that make me genuinely happy.

STOP.

WAIT.

Seems simple, right? Seems like that should be something that we all understand. Yeah, took a bit of time.

I have a diet (note: diet is what you eat, NOT something you get on to lose weight) of lots of fruits and vegetables, some dairy, and healthy fats. All in all, pretty well rounded. I don't eat a lot of meat because it doesn't make my heart happy. This is the diet that works for me. This brings joy to my heart.

When I go to the store, I only need to get the things that I want. Did you know that the average American wastes 25% of the food that they buy? Yeah, that breaks my heart.

What a waste.

What if we took that 25% that is wasted and we spent it on things that we genuinely wanted and could use? This is what I mean: sometimes, we buy things because we think we should. I used to get yogurt because I felt like it was good for me and I should eat it. Did I find joy in eating it? This is a good question to ask after eating something. No, not really, but I felt like I should eat it.

I felt like I should because it was what I was told.

What if we took away the idea that society and culture knows the food that is best for us and we create our own diet? What kind of a change would that make in society? What we bought more veggies and less processed food? I bet that prices would go down...that would be nice.

Anyways, that's what I think. At current, I just finished a cup of coffee and I'm supposed to be lesson planning. I just want to make sure I document this: food is something given from the Lord. If it's a gift, that means it should make our hearts happy (both physically and emotionally). Why waste time or money on food that doesn't benefit anything?

Reinvent your diet to benefit your body (and make your heart happy).

Peace.

P.S. - this isn't me promoting an unhealthy diet. I just genuinely only buy the food that makes me happy and my body healthy. I think you should, too.

P.P.S. - I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense. The music is playing really loud at this coffee shop and I'm distracted.

No comments:

Post a Comment