Saturday, November 26, 2016

Asking for Help? Okay...

Hi.

I don't like to ask for help.

Or for people to give me things.

I think it's something that comes from pride. Me and Jesus (well, Jesus is helping/teaching/sanctifying me) are working on that. 

Anyways. But, sometimes, just sometimes, you need to ask for help.

I think that's one of the best things that I've learned as a teacher.

It's hard, yes, but definitely worth it. I'm a big fan of asking for things that can be found around the house that people don't normally need. Like...
- broken crayons (can be used for fire starters or making new crayons)
- almost-empty candle containers (can be used for storing things and the old wax can be used for fire starters)
- random little prizes/stuffed animals (classroom prize box)
- shoeboxes (Operation Christmas Child)
- packing supplies (when you sell stuff online [see right], you need to have things to send it in)
This is not something I needed help with: I
was playing basketball like a boss with my
students, went on the side of my foot,
and ripped my shoe. I'm super cool.
- school supplies (I'm a teacher, y'all)
- coffee mugs, tea, and cocoa (Christmas presents for my students)
- advice (this is something that is very hard to ask for - you never knew what people are going to say, so that's hard)
- help (with class projects)

Those are just from the last couple of months on my book of faces account. 

I was talking to a friend the other day and she said something that surprised me. To sum it up, she said something like, "I'm really thankful that you ask for help on Facebook." This really surprised me. I asked her to expand on that, and she talked about how she believes it allows people to see that it's okay to ask for help and gives them an opportunity to help. 

I hadn't thought of that. It's okay to ask for help. And it's something that brings lots of people joy - to give help. 

So. Give people help. Ask for help. It's okay to not be able to totally take care of yourself (we all need Jesus). 

Peace.

Oh! And to all the people who have helped me, THANK YOU. I appreciate you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment