Monday, February 13, 2017

The Day of Valentines

Hello! Hello! Guess what - well, no. Did you know that the origin of Valentine's Day is unknown? There are thoughts of it originating from a Roman holiday called Lupercalia. It was a giant feast and it was based around love and you can look it up because I don't want to explain. And, sometimes, it makes me uncomfortable. 


Thank you, Zara, for this cup.
Around sometime in the world, there were three men named Valentine who came along. They were all martyred for what they did. The most common story is the emperor at the time forbid marriage because he believed it made his soldiers less strong. Valentine didn't find that to be right, therefore he continued to perform marriage ceremonies. He got arrested, but he continued to perform the ceremonies while he was in prison. Eventually, he healed the jailor's daughter of blindness. After that (well, a bit of time after), he had his head taken off. Ouch.

That would hurt.

But there's the origin! Or, at least, the though origin.

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day! OH. I forgot this! St. Valentine got beheaded on Valentine's Day (the 14th of February), therefore that's when we celebrate. 

Anyways. I struggled to put together a gift because I didn't really know what to get my students. I went around my apartment and struggled with a gift. I found all the things! Tugce had left some little gift bags and today I got to use them! My stash of tea has slowly been going down (I'm almost to a less crazy tea lady stage...), but I figured I could use that! 


See? A classy Valentine! All the happy things.

Someone also posted on the Buy Nothing page today a load of chocolate. I don't think I've given my students chocolate all year - so tomorrow is the day! Each kid got two pieces (except for two kids...I couldn't find their second piece...). 

And then! In the bag I wrote them a little note. Classy, cheesy - "You're my cup of tea." Class. Almost as classy as when I gave crayons and said, "Crayon you be my Valentine?"

I'll be the classy teacher until I'm not anymore. Which will be never.

I'm thankful I can bring joy to a day without spending money and using what I have. I think that's resourceful. And it'll bring smiles to face either way!

Peace.

PS - You're my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment