Sunday, August 21, 2016

Brain Works

Organized chaos. My life.
This summer I finally admitted something to myself.
That was fun.
Actually, humbling.
The word is humbling.

ADHD is defined as the medical condition that affects how well someone can sit still, focus, and pay attention. Attention deficit hyperactive disorder. For most of my life (make that all), I've had a struggle to focus. In 3rd grade, my teacher sat me next to the window and I didn't learn anything for almost the entire year. That's an issue.

You see, ADHD isn't something that comes out just as hyperactivity. I think that's where people get it wrong. ADHD is the overall term, but that goes into three different areas -->
1. Inability to focus coming out in hyperactivity.
2. Inability to focus coming out as distractibility (but quiet).
3. A mix of 1 and 2.

You see, most gals get diagnosed with depression before they get diagnosed with ADHD. The doctors see the symptoms lining up more with depression and less with ADHD. But later, it is realized that depression isn't the 'problem' - how the brain is working is the 'issue'.

Let's talk, though: this isn't an issue. It's difficult. It's different. But just because something is different DOESN'T mean it's wrong or an issue.

I read a book this summer called The ADHD Advantage by Dale Archer. Here, check it out. It gave me hope in myself. I was, for the first time it seemed, not feeling bound by this idea that I couldn't focus. Coming to terms with the fact my brain isn't the same as the 'normal person' is great (because I know myself more and can learn how to live better), but it's hard. Reading this book was something that gave me confidence in myself.

I feel like this gives a bit of context. I'd like to say
that I was cleaning and this is just how my
bed looks while cleaning. Lies. I got distracted a
weekago cleaning. I've been sleeping with this pile
ever since. #ADHDlife
For example, because I have ADHD, I am able to do multiple things at once. I can have many tasks going and know what is happening with all of them. Because of my ADHD, when something doesn't go my way, I forget about it somewhat quickly. I'm able to relate to my students better and understand their need to move. I understand my brain a bit better now and I'm less frustrated with my brain. 

I'm thankful God made me with my brain. I get it. Well, I don't. But I'm thankful. I get to lean on Jesus more. 

I can admit new things to myself, like...
1. I can't be in a situation with an excessive amount of stimulation because it's too much for me (and that's okay). 
2. I learn better from people talking because it requires less focus.
3. Part of ADHD can be the struggle to read (and a lot of people with ADHD have some form of dyslexia). It's okay not to be a good reader, but it's not okay to not try.
4. Coffee actually helps my symptoms. Weird, right?
5. When it gets to be too much and too much stimulation happens, I have to take myself away from a situation (situation = group of people, room, some sort of work,...).
6. ADHD helps me teach better.
7. My room is messy because of the ADHD. It's not an excuse, but it makes sense.
8. Sticky notes are my friend. And lists.

Anyways, I'm getting better at knowing myself. It's nice. It's humbling. It's helping me sustain myself.

Here's some helpful videos/YouTube channels -->
How to ADHD - she talks really fast so you can follow better.
The Unofficial ADHD Test for Adults - see my brain work.
ADHD sucks, but not really - TedxUSU talk

Also, this is highlighted weird because it did it on its own and I wasn't wanted to hurt my brain and fix it. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment