Saturday, September 23, 2017

Homemade Cough Drops

*cough* *cough* *cough* OH NO. It's that time of year again. The time when we're all sick because the weather is unpredictable because Kansas.

I've wanted to try and make my own cough drops. Chances are, I'll probably fail. Anyways, here's the recipe I have. 

1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 Tbs honey
1 Tbs lemon juice
1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 to 1/4 ground cloves
powdered sugar/cornstarch for coating
parchment paper

JOYFUL TODAY. I found the lemons, sugar, ginger, and cloves at the Asian Market today. That's my favorite place in town. It brings joy to my heart. I got a piece of parchment paper from a dear friend today, so that was lovely, too, as I didn't need to go to the store for it.

Why honey? It's a natural cough suppressant. And lemon adds Vitamin C. Ginger is anti-inflammatory. As well, ginger keeps to immune system strong. The oil of cloves helps fight germs and loosen phlegm.

1. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper. 
2. Combine all ingredients (NOT powdered sugar) in a pot. Cook until "hard stage", 300 degrees. This may take 15 to 20 minutes. How to test? Drop some in a bowl of ice water. Does it crack? It's ready. 
3. Don't let it burn. That's terrible.
4. Let mixture cool. Drop on making sheet in drops. Like raindrops! Dust with powdered sugar/cornstarch. This helps them not stick together. 
5. Store in airtight container, as anything that lets moisture in will cause them to stick together.

Here's my source. 

No comments:

Post a Comment