Saturday, March 4, 2017

Produce Bags

I did another thing! So, I've been avoiding buying produce for a bit of time (well, produce that needs to be put in bags) because I didn't want to use a plastic bag. It just made me frustrated often that I would be putting more plastic into the environment. 
First one - handmade. Sewn by hand.

Y'all. I wanted kumquats for a year. I finally got them today. 

Why? How?

I made produce bags!

I have two right now, but I figure I'll make more. How did I do it?

Old pillowcase. Cut into three parts (when the pillowcase if facing horizontally). Then, I sewed up the sides, leaving the top (one of the smaller sides) open. I flipped the top over itself (like to make a place for a shoelace to go through). Literally, this doesn't make sense. Maybe someone has a way to do this online...

Here. Someone else wrote it. I don't feel bad about taking it.

Oh! But I'm also really thrilled because everything I'm using to make these bags is reused. Or repurposed. I didn't buy anything. Old pillowcase. Extra shoelaces. A sewing machine.
Second one - sewn with machine. Dang,
I need practice.

Anyways, I've been really thrilled because now I have produce bags! And, actually, I'm using making them as incentive to grade papers. Cool? I know. 

But that's a really practical change I've been able to make to help the environment and for me to be able to help my body.

Life is good. I hope this made sense.

Probably not. 

But whatever. I got kumquats. Apples. And broccoli. With zero-waste. 

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment